Unfortunately, the old adage “you get what you pay for” is often true, as some people you talk with may not be fully competent, have a complete understanding of the economic impact of forestry decisions, or have your best interest at heart. Perhaps you see others harvesting timber, planting seedlings, marking boundary lines, or grading roads. If you are not familiar with the current value of your timber or the cost associated with accomplishing various forest management tasks, an unscrupulous person can take advantage of you.
There are many decisions that a landowner must make, some of which will impact their property for decades to come.
These questions include:
- When and how should I harvest timber?
- What site preparation methods should I use?
- What are the options for selecting the proper species or genetic family of seedlings to plant?
All of these have financial implications that must be considered. In addition to the financial responsibly of managing your property, there are other factors you must consider. Each state has Best Management Practices (BMP’s) for forestry designed primarily to protect water quality. In many areas, governmental agencies regulate timber harvests by requiring prior approval from zoning boards, timber harvest notifications with state forestry commissions, and the payment of timber severance taxes.
Evaluating and managing these factors can be daunting to timberland owners. FRC has the knowledge, expertise, and experience to guide you through the process and manage any of these activities.
- We understand the economic impacts of these practices and can support our recommendations. We know what your timber is worth, how to get you the best price, ensure that you are paid for all your timber, and manage the process from start to finish.
- Given we manage a significant amount of acreage for our clients, we have developed an extensive network of contractors and we know the current costs for site preparation, planting, road maintenance, and any other task performed on timberland property.
- We ensure that all operations conducted on your land comply with BMP’s and any other governmental regulations.
- If searching for supplemental income, we administer and manage recreational leases on hundreds of thousands of acres and can provide this service to you.
- As a full-service forestry consulting firm, FRC can help you with all facets of timberland management. You can be assured we will always responsibly represent you and your best interest.
Contact us to set up a free consultation to determine how we can serve you.
Our first meeting will focus on understanding your property ownership goals, learning about your property, addressing your concerns, and planning the next steps to help you achieve success. Let us help you ensure you will leave a positive legacy for your family that will generate income, enhance the recreational aspects of the property, and improve the value of timberland asset.